The Climate Action workshop on the topic of Travel & Transport was held at likeworkbutdifferent (https://likeworkbutdifferent.com/ ) on Tuesday 10th March 2020.
The powerpoint slides showing a lot of useful background information can be found on this link : https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Wl6A1RgLXeSO8JctPgE1s8Ndp8PFIDlm
This workshop was held as a general discussion and debate structured into three main sections
- Cars & Small vans
- Others (includes trains, buses etc.)
A lot of useful ideas and suggestions were generated and these are captured below :
- Work from home (or hub)
- Will people just keep driving diesel / petrol cars for longer (post 2035) – unless there’s a scrappage scheme to incentivise them to swap to Electric or Hydrogen vehicles?
- When do people chose to replace their car :
- Environmental footprint?
- Next generation – our children/grandchildren’s attitudes to cars and transport may be changing.
- Why are people commuting such large distances – how can we change this?
- Job security
- Cost of moving home
- Lack of choice of houses
- Affordability of houses?
- Should government pay for environmental improvements / stimuli :
- Electric vehicles
- Maybe tax cheap electricity from renewable sources to raise funds?
Ways to reduce flying :
- Peer pressure
- Label them as social pariahs
- Positive reinforcement of good behaviour
- Media messages
- Role models
- Key influencers
- Increase the cost
- Cancel runway expansions
- Reduce the number of runway slots at key airports
- Ration Airmiles (per person) – give each person an annual allowance.
- tradeable between people
- Good vs bad trips
- Find a “David Attenborough” champion against flying.
- Impose huge carbon offset penalty
- Put Health Warnings on tickets (as per cigarettes)
- Flight shaming.
Some useful suppliers & sources :